2 1/4 lbs Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored 6-7 apples or thinly sliced in 7 cups
1 recipe for double pie crust
- While making the filling, prepare the pie crust recipe and chill according to the directions. Set the oven to 425°F.
- Butter should be melted in a medium pot at a medium heat. 3 Tbsp of flour should be whisked in before simmering for 1 minute while doing so. Bring to a boil while whisking in 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Reduce heat, boil for an additional three minutes while whisking regularly, and then turn off the heat.
- Seven cups of thinly sliced apples, peeled, and cored should be put in a big basin. 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon should be sprinkled over the top and combined. After adding the sauce to the apples, toss them to evenly distribute the coating.
- Roll out the bottom pie crust to a circle that is 12" in diameter after flouring your work surface. Transferring it to the 9" pie plate requires wrapping it around your rolling pin. A tiny mound should be created in the center of the apple mixture before adding it. Avoid getting filling on the edges as this will make it difficult to seal.
- Utilizing a pizza cutter, roll the second crust into an 11" ring, then cut each strip into ten equal pieces. Strips should be arranged in a woven lattice design on top (see video tutorial). Brush the top with the egg mixture, which you'll have beaten with 1 Tbsp. water.
- For 15 minutes, bake in the center of a 425°F oven. Bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the filling is bubbling through the vents, after lowering the heat to 350 F. * Before serving, rest at room temperature for an hour.