This Chicken Shawarma recipe is going to knock your socks off! Just a handful of every day spices makes an incredible Chicken Shawarma marinade that infuses the chicken with exotic Middle Eastern flavours.
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 lemon, juiced, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pita bread rounds
Step 1: Preheat Pizzello Gusto for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
Step 2: Whisk together the coriander, cumin, cardamom, chili powder, grill seasoning, paprika, and turmeric in a bowl; whisk in juice of 1/2 lemon, garlic, and 3 tablespoons olive oil to form a paste. Coat the chicken breasts with the spice paste.
Step 3: Grill chicken breasts on the preheated grill until juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink at the center, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and cool for 1 to 2 minutes; slice thinly.
Step 4: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir onion, red pepper, and yellow pepper into the hot olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Step 5: Stir together Greek yogurt, tahini, juice of remaining 1/2 lemon, and remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a bowl until smooth; season with salt.
Step 6: Place pitas on the grill until heated through and lightly charred on the outside, about 1 minute per side. To assemble each sandwich, place some sliced chicken on each pita; top with some of the pepper mixture and a good dollop of yogurt tahini sauce.