We recently ran a study to uncover the best which towns and cities across America the best pizzas can be ordered from. Did your city make the list? Check out the results below!
Key Findings from the Survey
- New York City Tops the List: With an average Google rating of 4.68, New York City is rated the best city for pizza in the U.S., thanks to its long-standing tradition and numerous family-owned pizzerias.
- Surprise Contenders: Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Peoria, Arizona, emerge as unexpected top cities for pizza, showcasing a blend of traditional and unique local flavors.
- Commitment to Pizza: The average American pizza lover is willing to travel up to 26 minutes for their preferred pizza.
- Preference for Independent Pizzerias: Over half of the survey respondents prefer independent pizzerias over larger chains.
- Home Cooking Confidence: 40% believe their homemade pizzas are better than those from restaurants.
- Contentious Toppings: Hawaiian pizza leads as the most divisive topping, followed by White pizza and Mushroom pizza.
- Health Perception: 37% of participants consider pizza to be a potentially healthy meal option.
Implications of the Study
- Culinary Diversity Across the U.S.: The study highlights the rich diversity of pizza styles across America, challenging the notion that only major cities like New York or Chicago excel in pizza-making.
- Local Flavors and Global Influence: The emergence of cities like Tulsa and Peoria in the top ranks indicates a growing appreciation for local flavors and innovative twists on traditional pizza.
- Independent Pizzerias vs Chains: The preference for independent pizzerias over chains suggests a trend towards supporting local businesses and a desire for unique, artisanal pizza experiences.
- Rise in Home Pizza-Making: The confidence expressed by 40% of respondents in their homemade pizzas indicates a growing trend in home pizza-making. This could lead to an increased interest in purchasing home pizza ovens and related cooking tools, as well as a surge in online communities and resources dedicated to homemade pizza recipes and techniques. This trend reflects a desire for authentic, artisanal food experiences within the comfort of one's home, possibly influenced by the pandemic-driven shift towards home cooking.
- Health Consciousness: The belief in pizza as a healthy option shows a shift in how comfort foods are perceived and incorporated into diets, with a focus on balance and enjoyment.
- Culinary Innovation and Experimentation: The study encourages culinary innovation, as chefs and restaurants in less renowned cities gain recognition for their unique takes on a classic dish.
Ranking based on the average calculation of pizzeria Google review scores per city. We also carried out an online panel survey of 1,000 adults based on age, gender, and geography. Internal data sources are used to obtain population data sets. We used a two-step process to ensure representativeness through stratified sampling and post-stratification weighting.
Respondents are carefully chosen from a geographically representative online panel of double opt-in members. This selection is further tailored to meet the precise criteria required for each unique survey. Throughout the survey, we design questions to carefully screen and authenticate respondents, guaranteeing the alignment of the survey with the ideal participants.
To ensure the integrity of our data collection, we employ an array of data quality methods. Alongside conventional measures like digital fingerprinting, bot checks, geo-verification, and speeding detection, etc. each response undergoes a thorough review by a dedicated team member to ensure quality and contextual accuracy. Our commitment extends to open-ended responses, subjecting them to scrutiny for gibberish answers and plagiarism detection.